Written by Elizabeth McLean @ Health Wiz
I thought I’d share the following easy recipe for natural home-made insect repellent! Commercial products often contain pesticides such as N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide (DEET) which can have potentially harmful health effects when absorbed through the skin, so a natural product is the best way to protect you and your family from mosquitoes, ticks and fleas.
Follow this simple recipe to make your own insect repellent at home…
1) Select a suitable carrier oil or alcohol. Possible choices include:
– olive oil
– sunflower oil
– witch hazel (herbal extract from Hamamelis virginiana)
2) Choose 2-3 essential oils to add to your mix (citronella is a must have, but the others are optional.) Possible choices include:
– lemon myrtle
– orange oil
3) Add 5 drops of each of your oils to your clean, dry spray bottle – I chose 5 drops of lavender, 5 drops of eucalyptus, 8 drops of citronella and 5 drops of lemon myrtle.
4) Add 4-5 drops of the water solubiliser and then slowly pour the witch hazel or base of your choice on top.
5) Replace the lid and shake gently for 10 seconds.
6) Test a small amount (1 spray) on a patch of soft skin such as the inner wrist or ankle and leave for 24 hours prior to applying liberally. Those with sensitive skin can have allergic reactions to essential oils, so care must always be taken.
7) Enjoy the outdoors, mozzie free! 🙂